At Micron, sustainability is central to our vision to transform how the world uses information to enrich life for all and integral to our long-term business strategy.
To that end, I am proud to unveil The Power of Partnership: Micron Sustainability Report 2023, which highlights our continued progress toward our sustainability goals. In addition to our full sustainability report, we have also published a 2023 sustainability progress summary highlighting our achievements across our environmental, social and governance (ESG) programs. I highly encourage you to read both documents to learn more about Micron’s sustainability initiatives.
Memory and storage solutions are vital to many facets of life, from healthcare to education and entertainment. As the world continues to innovate and the technology industry grows, memory and storage will continue to be at the heart of it all.
Recognizing and addressing our impact
As an industry leader, we believe that we have a responsibility to help lead sustainability improvements, and are mindful that our business, operations and sourcing practices for creating semiconductors affect our team members, customers, communities and planet. Manufacturing semiconductors requires many resources and an incredible amount of power, and Micron is taking a multifaceted approach to address our environmental footprint. We have set ambitious targets to reach net zero greenhouse gas emissions for operations and purchased energy by 2050, in addition to goals for adopting renewable energy and improving waste management and water recycling across our global operations network.
Achieving these sustainability goals would not be possible without strong partnerships. We intentionally partner with industry peers, suppliers and customers worldwide to set new standards for the sustainability of semiconductor production. We continuously seek to challenge and strengthen our strategy, which focuses on the ESG impacts associated with our industry-leading products, our operations and sourcing and our interactions with team members and communities.
Sharing our accomplishments
In 2022, we continued to enhance our award-winning ESG initiatives with a focus on collaborating internally and expanding our work with others. By taking action and conducting our business practices with sustainability in mind, we made incredible progress toward our goals. Here are several of our achievements and key highlights:
- Announced our goal to reach net zero emissions from our operations and purchased energy by 2050 including our commitment to reach 42% absolute emissions reduction by 2030 versus our 2020 baseline, which puts Micron in line with the Paris Agreement.
- Reached 100% renewable energy in Malaysia and signed multiple agreements to purchase renewable energy globally.
- Achieved 65% water conservation through reuse, recycling and restoration.
- Attained an inclusion index score of 86% — an increase for the third year in a row. Learn more in our DEI report.
- Grew participation in employee resource groups to 39% of our workforce, a nearly 50% increase from fiscal year 2021.
- Reached 6.1 million people worldwide through grants funded by the Micron Foundation. Learn more in our Micron Gives report.
- Recognized the value of collaboration, diversity and the opportunities ahead at our first Supplier Day, attended by 260-plus supplier representatives.
- Achieved $454 million in spend with diverse suppliers, exceeding our goal of $404 million.
- Announced investments in Boise, Idaho and Clay, New York, accompanied by significant environmental and social targets.
- Released our 1β (1-beta) DRAM technology, which delivers approximately a 15% power efficiency improvement over 1α (1-alpha) memory.
- Invested in technologies to help us become a zero-harm workplace.
- Became a founding member of the Semiconductor Climate Consortium to explore solutions to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions across our industry.
- Co-hosted the inaugural SEMI Startups for Semiconductor Sustainability pitch event, which attracted over 70 participants.
While this list is impressive and I am very proud of what we have accomplished as a team, there is still more work to be done. I am confident that Micron, working with our industry partners, will continue to innovate and lead in sustainable business practices that will make a lasting and positive impact on our environment. Together, we can continue building a better world for future generations.