Micron Welcomes New President and CEO Sanjay Mehrotra
Mark Durcan welcomes new President and CEO Sanjay Mehrotra to Micron in this video introduction.
Moving Forward With New Leadership
Micron’s board of directors has appointed Sanjay Mehrotra as Micron president and CEO and as a member of the board. Sanjay brings an outstanding track record of business success and exceptional knowledge of the memory and storage industry. Most recently, he served as president and CEO of SanDisk where he had a long and distinguished career, starting as a co-founder of the company. He led SanDisk from start-up in 1988 until its eventual sale to Western Digital in 2016.
This appointment follows Mark Durcan’s February announcement of his desire to retire as Micron’s CEO. Mark has stepped down, but will serve as an advisor to the company until early August.
Micron is pleased to welcome Sanjay to our team and excited to have his leadership and vision as we continue to accelerate Micron’s technology position and the delivery of new and innovative products to our customers.
Sanjay Mehrotra’s Background
- Co-founder of SanDisk Corporation, leading the company from start-up in 1988 until its eventual sale to Western Digital in 2016.
- Served as president and CEO of SanDisk from 2011 to 2016.
- Led SanDisk team that pioneered a diversified and comprehensive portfolio of flash storage solutions that included removable products, embedded mobile solutions, client and enterprise solid state drives and innovative enterprise system solutions.
- Initiated and guided a highly successful 17-year joint venture partnership with Toshiba in NAND flash memory technology development and manufacturing.
- Held design engineering positions at Integrated Device Technology, Inc., SEEQ Technology and Intel Corporation.
- Earned bachelor's and master's degrees in electrical engineering and computer sciences from the University of California, Berkeley, and graduated from the Stanford Graduate School of Business Executive Program (SEP).
- Holds more than 70 patents and has published articles in the area of nonvolatile memory design and flash memory systems.
Q. Why was the search for a new CEO initiated?
A. Mark Durcan had discussed with the board of directors his desire to retire from Micron when the time and conditions were right for the company. As a result, the board formed a special committee to oversee the selection process for the position of CEO and, with the assistance of a leading global executive search firm, initiated a search to identify and vet candidates.
Q. Why was Sanjay Mehrotra chosen? What strengths does he bring to Micron?
A. Sanjay Mehrotra was selected because his track record of business success, exceptional knowledge of the memory and storage industry and experience in markets ranging from consumer to enterprise make him uniquely qualified to lead Micron into the future. As a co-founder of SanDisk, Mehrotra led the company from start-up in 1988 until its eventual sale in 2016. Additionally, he served as SanDisk’s president and CEO from 2011 to 2016.
Q. What is the timing of the transition? Will there be overlap between Durcan and Mehrotra?
A. The board of directors has announced that Mehrotra will join Micron effective May 8 as the new president and CEO. Durcan will step down as CEO and from the Micron board of directors on May 8, but he will continue in an advisory role until early August to ensure a seamless and effective transition.
Q. Will Mehrotra be on Micron’s board of directors?
A. Yes, Mehrotra will join the Micron board of directors effective May 8.
Q. Do you anticipate major changes in direction for Micron with the new leader?
A. The board is not looking to revise Micron’s direction, but rather to ensure we continue to invest in areas of the business that will accelerate Micron’s market and technology position and enable timely delivery of new and innovative products.
The board continually evaluates the company’s strategy in light of the competitive landscape. By implementing a long-term succession plan, the board aims to ensure a smooth transition and position Micron for continued success in the future.
Q. Where will Mehrotra be located? Will Micron’s headquarters remain in Boise?
A. Mehrotra will work out of both the Milpitas and Boise offices. Micron has no plans to move its headquarters from Boise.